Date: 3'rd of September 2006
picture The VW Golf III CityStromer as I first saw it at the parking lot outside Faculty of Engineering at University of Southern Denamrk. (It's the blue car ;-)
picture Well - the first thing to do is to pop the hood open. So far it could almost look like a 'normal' car.
picture The plastic lid has been removed and six 6 volts VRLA's are revieled.
picture Right side front wheel and a quite rusty brake disc.
picture A look under the car reveals only a little rust.
picture Fan and heater assembly for venting and heating of the battery boxes.
picture Bottom of rear battery box.
picture The inside of the car - nice and hardly used. No way to tell that this is an electric car.
picture Original Nokia mobile phone holder.
picture A look down into the rear battery box, where the rest (10) of the sixteen 6 volts batteries are located.
picture A computer.... Have to find out what it does....
picture Don't know why I took this picture.
picture The onboard charger, which is located in the left side of the engine room.
picture Rear of the front battery box. The air inlet to the battery box and pump assembly for the servo steering can be seen.
picture One of the batteries.
picture Approx. 275 mm heigh (10.8 inch).
picture Approx. 235 mm width (9.25 inch). at the bottom
picture Approx. 182 mm depth (7.17 inch).
picture The inverter - input 96VDC. Output 64VAC/326A 0 - 300 Hz for the engine and 13.8VDC/60A for the 12 volt system.
picture The charger - input 230VAC/16A - output 80 - 160VDC/3kW with a limitation of 140VDC
picture A look at the rear battery box.
Date: 7'th of September 2006
picture The set-up: Two 6V/160Ah under discharge. Approx. 7Amps (a 75W light bulb connect to a 12V/230V inverter)
The charger can be seen in the upper left corner.
picture Two VRLA's charging.
picture The inverter and two fans - the two different load can also be seen. The small "Winnie the Pooh" lamp has a 15W light bulb - and the bare lamp has a 75W light bulb. The inverter has an efficiency of approx. 90% and an automatic shut down at 10.5 volts.
picture Discharging a battery.
picture The charger - a really in-expensive charger, which can do the job - as long as it is not left unattended for long periods of time (while charging).
picture The setup.
Date: 13'th of September 2006
picture Two of the batteries had a concave casing. Oddly it is also the same two where the temperature sensors are located. One in the rear batterybox and one in the front battery box.
picture Another picture of the same battery - this is battery number 11 (rear). The other one with this defect is battery number 4 (front).
picture The first 6 batteries has been charged for the second time.
Date: 30'th of September 2006
picture All batteries has been charged and has been loaded onto the trailer. You are looking at 500kg (1100 lbs) of pure lead/acid power ;-)
picture Just wanted to take another picture - while cathing my breath....
picture Two of my colleagues with more mechanical knowledge than myself. To the left (sitting) is Kristian Petersen and to the right (bend-over) is Kristian Budde. They was working hard, replacing the brake discs, when I arrived with the batteries.
picture Two years worth of rust....
picture ...and from another angle.
picture And the right side...
picture ...and yet another angle.
picture Budde connecting batteries at the front.
picture and the other Kristian at the rear - ...me ?!? I'm just taking pictures... ;-)
picture Still time for a laugh.

Epilog:
The car was running later that day without any problems. We were to pleased with the result to take any pictures of the event ... ;-)
The only problem left is a leak in the cylinder for the brake fluid. Apparently a known problem for cars which has been standing still for some time.
After the cylinder has been changed I do not feel that much of a difference :-( But it was a nice afternoon we had changing it ;-) In order to change it the front battery box had to be moved 10 cm (4 inches) forward... This require removal of the six batteries in the front and removal of the front of the car ! It took us 3 hours for the complete operation...
Date: 15'th of October 2006
The car is now legal to use on public roads and I have added 10% to the total distance the car has traveled - total 6611 km (4127 miles).
picture Me washing the car - 2 years worth of dirt do require some major washing....
picture But as you can see - the result is quite nice to look at :-) And there is no problem in seeing where to start next...

Battery measurements:
There is a clear indication of the batteries in the front has had a much harder life than the ones in the back. The batteries from the front shows generally a lower OCV than the ones from the rear.
Furthermore battery #4 and #11 are showing a lower OCV after the first 39 km (24 miles) of use after their rebirth. Most likely they will be replaced when I find the money for two new batteries.
I do have a rather large set of battery measurement - but they will need a little work before they can be presented well.

Update on the batteries:
I have contacted Exide a have had a good qoute on a new set of batteries (16 x GF 06 180 V). They would like a sticker on the car in return - and some money ;-)
The old set of batteries will be donated to Wolfgang Schröder at Engineering College of Copenhagen.


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Viewable With Any Browser