A small commercial.

I have purchased the Thunder Sky cells from:

GWL/Power Group - EV & Power Solutions
c/o i4wifi a.s., Prumyslova 11, Praha 10
CZ-10219 Czech Republic, European Union
auto88(at)auto88.cz

You can see a lot of their products at: http://www.yttrium-power.com

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the company, but they have treated me in a swift and very professional manner.
They did require payment before delivery, which tends to turn on all my alarm bells.... I did quite a bit of research on them (aka googling), and they did seem genuine enough - so I went for it.
They have responded quickly to my (sometimes) stupid questions ;-)
I did recieve a discount for promoting them, so make up your own mind, but I will, and can, recommend them.

The long Saturday....

The long awaited day where the new cells would be installed started the day before.... with me driving the car the 40km to APC by Schneider, where I have my normal day job. The trip was done in to sections of 20 km, with a 1 hour charging in between. I was not sure that I could reach APC i one go, and this was in fact the main reason for doing the conversion now.
The next day my colleague and fellow EV compadre Henning R. Nielsen started at 9AM and drove to work :) We had assorted pieces of plywood and wood cutting tools with us, so the new cells could be given a nice new box. Half an hour later we arrived at APC and started to unmount the old lead acid batteries. The car had 16 x 6V/160Ah Exide traction batteries - each weighing some 30kg (65lbs).

It took 35 man hours to remove the batteries, modify the battery boxes and install the cells. The day ende at 11PM with me driving the car home - all the way without stop :-D.

CityStromer without 500kg of lead acid batteries. The car without the 16 lead acid batteries - note how high it stand on the springs :-) You can see pictures from 2006 showing the mounting of the original battery pack here   The car and old versus new technology. Some of the lead acid batteries and a couple of the TS-LFP90AHA cells.
picture The rear battery box without the batteries but with the plastic seperation the batteries. The battery box was divided into two parts, but the new 48 of the 64 cells would be mounted in one box.   picture Rear right corner of the rear battery box.
picture Rear left corner of the rear battery box.   picture Front left corner of the rear battery box. The box with the wires comming out is the BMaS (Batteriemanagement-System).
picture Front mid section of the rear battery box.   picture Front right corner of the rear battery box.
picture Left corner without the plastic inserts.   picture Right corner without the plastic inserts.
picture Full view of the front of the rear battery box without the plastic inserts.
picture Right section of the frontal battery box.   picture Left section of the frontal battery box. Most of the 2kW onboard charger can be seen to the left.
picture Bulk of the cells - now ready for actual mounting :)   picture We decided to reuse the fuse mounting and interconnect section of the rear battery box. So the plastic insert was disected and the re-useable part attached to a piece of 18mm plywood.
picture Plastic on plywood.   picture Plastic on plywood - take 2.
picture Modified battery box ready for the cells - a piece of foam was placed in the bottom of the box.   picture Read battery box - another angle.
picture Cells mounted in the rear box - looks quite good I think. The box is divided into four sections. The old divider plates was reused and so was the temperature sensor - mostly because it would be needed by the old battery management system.
The divider vertically plates will be replaced by a solid material in the near future (plywood I guess ;-). The old plates will not be strong enough to withstand the expansion of the new cells (imho).
  picture A step or two back.
picture The frontal battery box assembly mounted with the remaining 16 cells. Note that the upper left cell was mounted incorrectly - we found out before any harm was done, but it could have resulted in two shorted cells !   picture This space will be used for misc. electronics.
picture Interconnections being mounted. I had prepared a drawing, which was more or less ok for the rear battery box, but due to pratical considerations the frontal battery box was done a little bit different than planed.
Only half the battery current will pass in the "small" interconnects.
  picture The finished rear battery box.
picture The almost finished frontal battery box. We did this one first and I had planned to use cables (50 mm^2) in the rear also, but it was hard to make them in the exact length needed (+/- 1mm) so we went for bus bars in the rear (6mm x 20mm).   picture Kasper Svendsen (black shirt) and Henning Roar Nielsen doing all the hard work while I just take pictures :)


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional Viewable With Any Browser